Graduated Instruction Permit Requirements
- Must be at least 15 years and 6 months old
- Must pass written and vision tests and bring to an office a completed application and all original supporting documents (Note: If under 18 years of age, the permit test may be taken online at home with parental or guardian supervision.)
- Must have a licensed driver who is at least 21 seated in the front passenger seat at all times
Graduated Driver's License Requirements
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Must have held an Arizona Class G Permit for at least six months
Road Test Required: Complete at least 30 hours of supervised driving practice (10 hours at night) OR complete at least 20 hours of supervised driving practice (six hours at night) along with a driver education program.
No Road Test Required: Complete the driver education program at our driving school and bring your Certificate of Completion to the DMV within twelve months of issuance.
After Getting the Graduated Driver's License
- For the first six months, you cannot drive between midnight to 5 a.m. unless a parent or legal guardian with a valid driver's license is in the front passenger seat OR you are driving from a school-sponsored activity, religious-sanctioned activity, work, or family emergency.
- You can not drive with more than one passenger under age 18 unless they are your siblings or a parent or legal guardian with a valid driver's license is in the front passenger seat.
If you have no outstanding extensions of the restricted driving period or suspension of driving privileges during the completion of the first six months of restricted driving, you may drive without restriction until eligible to apply for a Class D driver's license beginning at age 18.
If you are younger than 18, the application for an instruction permit or driver's license must be signed by at least one adult. The adult will be responsible for any negligence or willful misconduct when the teen is driving.
- One natural/adoptive parent, if married to the other natural/adoptive parent
- Both natural/adoptive parents, if not married to each other but share joint custody
- One natural/adoptive parent with sole custody
- A legal guardian (proof required)
- A foster parent (proof required)
- An employer (parents' death certificates must be shown)
An MVD agent or a notary public must witness the signatures. Signatures obtained for an instruction permit will be required again for a driver's license. This information sheet contains the laws that apply to legal guardian authority for a driver's license for a minor.